Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Coming Home

As you know...I have two beautiful daughters.  What you don't know is that I also have 17 other kids who I adore! 
These are our kids from the United Methodist Youth Fellowship (UMYF) and my husband and I, along with another couple, are their leaders...scary, right?  Not at all, I love every one of them...each with his or her own unique gifts and quirks. 







In August, we start gearing up for a new year of UMYF and this time of year always reminds me of coming home.  I don't know why exactly.   It must have to do with the feeling of getting back into routine after a busy summer or the wonderful scents, sights and sounds of the upcoming autumn season.  I do know that being back with "my kids" will feel like coming home. 


Recently, I heard a song on the radio.  You know me, I love turning lyrics of popular songs into something richer and deeper...and usually something grounded in the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  So, anyway I heard "Coming Home" by Diddy (I know...right?) 

When listening to them with the meaning intended, the lyrics make me sad (living the life of a gang member with all its harsh realities), but the words in the chorus could be re-thought as a message of  hope and joy for those of us who have given our lives to Jesus...

"I'm coming home
I'm coming home
Tell the World I'm coming home
Let the rain wash away all the pain of yesterday.
I know my kingdom awaits and they've forgiven my mistakes
I'm coming home, I'm coming home
Tell the World that I'm coming..."


With these lyrics in mind, I started thumbing through the pages of my Bible for all of the passages on God's kingdom...and heaven....and home... I found many, of course.  But none touched my heart as deeply as one from Psalms - the words from  The Message Bible spoke loud and clear...

"God, it seems you've been our home forever; long before the mountains were born, 
Long before you brought earth itself to birth, 
from "once upon a time" to "kingdom come" - you are God." Psalms 90: 1-2

If we look at God as our home, what do the lyrics of "Coming Home," say to us?  It's says to me that I don't care what the world says....tell the world that I'm coming home....I know that heaven waits for me, that my sins have been forgiven and that all of my pain will someday be washed away. 

I'm pretty sure that's not what Diddy had in mind...but you know I'm pretty good at spinning things to my way of thinking!  Ha!  I might just have to tell "my kids" about this! 

What else has been going on?
Do any of you struggle with making meals on the weekend?  I mean...I love the fact that I usually have more time to devote to cooking meals on the weekend but when I do, it seems then there's no one around to eat it!  So, Saturday I decided to keep it light at lunch...a veggie/cracker tray with dip.  Then, my family could graze as their schedules allowed.  Guess what?  Everyone was home...and spent a lot of time giving me not-so-subtle hints to make this or that or for lunch. Well, this is what they got...And, I thought it was awesome...even though my husband, the anti-veggie eater, was not impressed. 

The star of the veggie/cracker tray is a Dill Pickle Wrap Dip that I learned about from Kristin at Iowa Girl Eats It is soooo simple!  Equal parts sour cream and cream cheese and then just add dill pickle relish and cut up corned beef to taste and to your liking!  Couldn't be simpler or yummier! 

With fall right around the corner, I also decided that I had to try Paula Dean's Pumpkin Bars  Now these are not for the dieting faint of heart.  There are lots of eggs, oil, sugar and butter in these bad boys.  But they are to die for! No, I did not get a picture of them because my family ate them too fast (in other words...I was too busy stuffing my face to get out my camera).  Anyway, the plan is to make  low-fat, low-sugar version of these.  I think I have it all figured out....I'll let you know how it turns out!

TTFN!




No comments:

Post a Comment