Friday, January 27, 2012

Happy Friday!

Did this seem like a long week to anyone else?  I mean the days flew by due to the many projects at work but looking back...wow...this was a long week!  So glad it's finally Friday!  Not that there will be a lot of time for relaxing this weekend but it is all filled with good stuff... my dad's birthday is tomorrow so we'll head there tomorrow afternoon to enjoy supper at the Pizza Ranch.  If you have never been to a Pizza Ranch (and if you are outside of Iowa, chances are you haven't), you need to try it.  They serve not only pizza but also broasted  chicken!  No counting Weight Watchers points tomorrow night...wink, wink...

Then on Sunday, we are headed to DesMoines to work with Joppa Outreach.  Joppa serves the homeless in DesMoines.  Each Sunday, they reach out to the many unsheltered in DesMoines by bringing them food and necessities.  However, they deliver much more than that.  They offer friendship and unconditional love - no judging.  Just meeting these folks where they are at.  It is an awesome organization and Dennis and I and our church are honored to support them through our donations of time, food, necessary items and money.  Since we live about 2 1/2 hours from DesMoines, we have agreed to participate in Sunday outreach about 4 times a year.  It will be a day very well spent!

By the way....things that have brought me joy lately...

This is a puzzle Erin made for us during a hall activity at college.  Molly and I put it together a couple of weeks ago.  Obviously, we had the pieces a bit mixed up and I was sure that Erin gave us a defective puzzle but the next night I came home and the pieces were mysteriously sitting in a way that I could see our mistake....mmmm....Molly and Dennis both say they had nothing to do with it.  Howie?

Dennis' man cave....in the garage.  Yes, that is an entertainment center with a tv and library of dvds.  He has two very comfortable chairs out there and a fridge :)  I'm not saying that I'm happy he is out of the house.  I'm saying I like to go out there and sit with him!  Yes, it's heated....and yes, my car gets to occupy the other stall!

Finally, my Kuerig coffee station!  I got it for Christmas from my family and I am in love with it!  In the morning, I brew Caribou coffee and in the evening, I brew green tea!  I need to experiment a little with other kinds of coffees and teas.  It just makes me a very happy girl!

Speaking of things that bring me joy, I had a good week of work-outs!  Yesterday, I wasn't sure that would be the case!  I usually work-out over my noon hour where I work at Buena Vista University.  The students are on winter break that started yesterday and will run through next Wednesday.  Consequently, the fitness center will be closed during that time.  Now what? 

I decided to run on the indoor track.  I was a little hesitant....there are student athletes in there practicing and I'm not what you would call a great runner.  But I sucked it up and did it anyway.  And it was GREAT!  The students ignored me, of course...exactly what I wanted!  Yesterday and today, I ran just under 3 miles in about 30 minutes...Yay ME! 

Wednesday night, I put together a few different work-outs that I had read about on other blogs into one.  Yep...I was feeling it yesterday.  Here's what I did...
100 jumping jacks
90 crunches
80 squats
70 leg lifts
60 jumping jacks
50 crunches
40 squats
30 leg lifts
20 jumping jacks
30 push-ups
20 tri-cep lifts
30 bi-cep curls (with two cans of corn)
30 arm lifts (also with two cans of corn)
100 jumping jacks
It was a sweat-producing 20 minute work-out:)

Finally, I wanted to share a new scripture verse (well, new to me!) that was in my devotions this morning.  It is from Nahum 1:7 (wow...I never get to Nahum!)  "The Lord is good, refuge in times of trouble. He cares for those who trust in him."  Simple...but it pretty much sums it up.  Why do we think we have to make trusting in God so complicated? 

No comments:

Post a Comment