Thursday, March 17, 2011

Back at it Again!

I was going to be so intentional about writing my blog and was going to change the world with my insight on everything from acne to cancer and running to cooking!  Ha!  How wrong I was!  I just haven't felt very insightful lately....therefore, you have not heard from me in quite some time....
A couple of weeks, I bought myself a journal.  Yes, I do that at least once a year thinking that this will be the time I start writing my most intimate thoughts and stick with it.  So, what makes this time different?  Well, I'm not really writing down MY most intimate thoughts.  I'm writing down what I think GOD's most intimate thoughts are and how I feel they are speaking to me.  I take notes through my devotion time each day.  You see, I am embarrassed to say that my memory is so short that I quite often forget by noon what my devotions were about that morning.  The journal goes with me wherever I go.  Several times a day, I will pull it out and just read over what I wrote that morning.  What peace it gives me to have God's thoughts and scriptures with me all day.  I will also write down the joys and concerns I want to lift up in prayer that day.  My hope (and prediction) is that, months from now, I will be able to look back and praise God for all of the answered prayers.
Last week, I had another surgery.  This time, I had my ovaries removed.  Because of my young age (for someone with breast cancer) and the type of cancer I had (estrogen-receptor positive), my oncologist felt it best to just remove the source of estrogen in my body to prevent the possibility of the cancer to return to any remaining breast tissue.  While, at first, I thought this was kind of a drastic action, I was happy to have it done if it kept me from going through chemo.  It has been a little over a week since the surgery and I have been back to work for about 4 days and I am feeling great!  Praise God!  (Hey, this was an answered prayer I can check off in my journal!)
As you can imagine, this has put a halt to my half-marathon training.  But as soon as I get the green light from my surgeon, I will be hitting the road again - slowly at first, of course!  Plus, the beautiful weather this week and daylight savings time (more daylight in the evenings) has me yearning to get going again!  Luckily, my half-marathon is at the beginning of September so I will have time to build up my strength and endurance again!
I leave you today with some words from my journal.  I like to think it speaks to my love of running but also to my love of serving God and others.  It is from Matthew 5:41..."If anyone forces you to go one mile, go also the second mile."  And from my devotion reading "We can bring God pleasure when we don't limit ourselves to simply carrying out our task but also invest love, concern, attention and diligence." Upper Room Devotions
Take heart!  God says "I will never leave you or forsake you!" 
Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment